Monday, February 13, 2012

Queer Identity


Dear Ms. Gray,
I was really able to relate to your article.  I myself am a gay college student.  It wasn’t easy for me to come out. I did however use the Internet as a resource to connect with my peers.  It’s funny that your example was that you used to search ‘Baywatch’ forums because I used to read ‘The West Wing’ forums.  I don’t know how many 14-year-old girls were in love with Allison Janney, but I was certainly head over heels.  I would use my love for ‘The West Wing’ as an excuse to read fan fiction on CJ Cregg. I also just used to constantly used to search ‘how do you know if you’re gay’ (if you have to search there isn’t much of a question) but it was able to connect me to peers going through similar experiences.  It made it so much easier for me to come to terms with who I was and realize I was normal.


I grew up watching ‘Will & Grace’ with my mom, but that wasn’t my experience.  It was nice to see gays accepted but I wasn’t a flamboyant gay man.  In stead I was not the stereotype.  I am a very girly girl that loves dresses and long hair.  I never saw anyone like me on TV.  However now a days, I actually have noticed more shows making homosexuality more normal.  Shows like ‘The New Girl’ and ‘Happy Endings’ have homosexual characters that are completely the same as the other characters.  They don’t have to be flamboyant or butch but instead mainstream.  It’s nice to see that gays can be portrayed as normal and accepted into regular society.  I hope it makes it easier for the next generation to come out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment