Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Second Life: Is it good, or is it bad?

Linden Labs,
I although I am not a huge fan of Second Life, and not just second life but virtual worlds and realms in general, I can admit that there are benefits of Second Life after reading your article "How Meeting in Second Life Transformed IBM's Technology Elite into Virtual World Believers." In your article you describe how Second LIfe was used as a "glue" and an adhesive devices connecting and building a relationship between colleagues in corporations. This training service helped IBM save $300,000, which is a huge asset when it comes to running a successful business. And who's to say that the savings end there? With programs like Second Life, companies who were once struggling could possibly get back on their feet by saving money and also by preserving jobs within the company. After reading your article I did go and read Edward Castronova's article "Synthetic Worlds: The Business and Culture of Online Games." Castronova's article and his opinion about Second Life defintely represents how I initially felt about programs like Second Life. According to Castronova, “if transactions, production and consumption increasingly occur in synthetic worlds, the corresponding measures of economic activity on Earth will fail." Castronova said exactly how I felt and what I've been trying to express about technology in the digital age. I've felt as though these development of new worlds has made us forget about the one that we currently live in, however I couldn't find the words to fully express how I felt, but Castronova was able to not only put it in words, but put it into simple terms that is short, sweet and straight to the point. Because Second Life is more than just a video game people, in my opinion, cross the line of just having fun in their leisure time and being fully engulfed in this program. Although I do understand how Second Life has helped your company and maybe may others, I do feel as though people are over doing the amount of time and the full extent of visits with programs such as Second Life. I do want to like Second Life because it seems as though there are many positive aspects to the program, I cannot fully be pro-Second LIfe because of people who have overtly used the program to live lives that they once lived with technology and without a computer screen. Isn't it true that too much of a good thing is bad for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment