Monday, April 16, 2012

The Dark Side of Online Gaming


Dear Jason Tanz,

Personally, I believe online gaming can be a waste of time.  I have never been into playing games online, and if I ever do I have always regretted it later because I knew I could have spent my time doing something more productive.  I believe that online gaming is just something to pass the time with, but there is no long-term reward for it.  It is just immediate gratification for when one is feeling bored or looking for a quick adrenaline rush, and can consequently become addictive.  I am glad that I am not one of those people who are addicted to online games, because there is little compensation for playing them. 



Even though I am not big on online games, I can also understand why people can give in to the addictions of online gaming.  Your article opened my eyes to social games and how people can play these games for a number of reasons- some of them being for education and developing strategy.  Some of these games’ appeal can also be due to the fact that they are original ideas and are very creative.  People enjoy new ideas and want to become a part of something that they have never heard of before.  If a unique game comes up with a unique title, there is some temptation to play it.  There is also pressure to get in on the action, as when games like Farmville and Fast Typer appear on people’s Facebook newsfeeds, and you want to play these games to see what the hype is all about.  I understand people’s choices to play these games, but I believe that it should be done in moderation and it should not affect their everyday lives.    

Sincerely,
Connie Zhen        

No comments:

Post a Comment