Monday, January 30, 2012

Transform Yourself Through Technology

Dear Ms. Turkle,

I found your article to be very interesting and I found myself agreeing with some of the points that you've raised. I loved your quote, "Technology is seductive when what it offers meets our human vulnerabilities," because that is definitely true. Humans are becoming heavily dependent on technology, such as smartphones, tablets, computers and even robots! These technological devices have molded the ways of which we communicate with one another. It has even made some of us lazier than we have ever been! We never have to leave our homes to meet up with someone if we really don't have to, thanks to these technological advances. We can call them, text, instant message, even video chat from our bed. I'm not sure who actually calls people anymore, but that is still an option.

Most people fall in love with technological devices because it is capable of making their lives much easier. For example, DVR is so convenient! Whenever I know I am going to miss a show, I make sure I DVR it so that I can watch it whenever I am home and I can watch it over and over again. It's one of the best features on my TV. In addition to the great one, the remote control. With the press of a button, I can control what my TV does without ever having to get out of bed. I love it. There are many other devices that you can't help but to fall in love with. I mean, you don't even have to read a book by yourself if you don't want to because that is what they have Nooks and kindles for! They will read the book to you.


Technology can also boost one's self confidence. There are many social networking sites and programs that allow people to become who they really want to be. They create these online entities where they do not have to be the person they are, primarily because they believe they suck at life. Second Life, Tumblr, blogs.. they all play a major role in the development of online entities. People can fabricate their lives, make them better, and no one would ever really know. Technology is like a cosmetologist, helping you to mold yourself into what you want to be.


Respectfully,
Jasmine

No comments:

Post a Comment