Friday, January 27, 2012

Alone Together Week Three Blog 1/25-1/31


Dear Sherry Tickle,


After reading your article I now have a better sense of what the time Alone Together really means.  Even though we are connecting with one another though technology and connecting with the mass/medium we are really alone.  As technology changes it are offering substitutes for connecting with each other face-to-face.  The internet, instant-message, e-mail, test, and twitter, these machines are creating a world of mediated relationships by using these networked devices.  I agree with almost everything you had to say about technology and how it is ultimately redrawing the boundaries between intimacy and solitude.  Personally, I feel that even though it would be nice to have a robot walk, talk, do, say, whatever we like, I mean because this ultimately would be such a great thing, and it is completely understanding why people could relate to these robots, to me it is not ideal.  As you stated that people think it is more efficient to choose keyboards over the human voice, because “real time” takes too much time. We need to remember that even though the idea of these robots might help bring more fulfillments to happiness, that god created humans, not robots to be humans.  Hiding behind these network devices, in which we are connecting to the outside world, is actually leaving us distant, and alone, rather than the “real” togetherness.  I am an old fashion type of girl when it comes to expressing yourself in others ways than texting, and emailing, but I am also very much connected with my IPhone.   Although sometimes I prefer texting more than talking I still adhere to face-to-face interaction still.  I would never be able to connect with a robot romantically, or intimately.  To have a ROBOT as a friend might be interesting, and fun, but nothing could really compare to the “real” thing.



1 comment:

  1. I'd like to see more direct response to the writers' arguments. And it's Turkle, not Tickle!

    ReplyDelete