Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Being Over-connected

Dear Mrs. Rosenbloom,

Although your article described a lot of things I agreed with, there were a few particulars I didn't.  You discussed a lot about "combating social media burnout" which can occur when internet users participate on multiple social networking sites.  Although I agree that these sites are very addictive, I don't believe that the number of different social media forms used creates that much of an impact.  Whether were using Facebook, Twitter, or another site, people can occupy themselves solely on one site for multiple hours.  These websites have grown so extensively over the past few years that there are now so many different things you can do on each of them.  I think the pressing factor comes down to more of a personal choice and how much time every individual wants to devote toward social networking.  I have both a Facebook and Twitter account and spend around the same amount of time per day on each site.  I typically use Facebook to see what the buzz is amongst my friends and to check out any notifications I may have.  Once I've completed this routine I usually exit the site and continue doing something else.  Many of my friends however will spend hours at a time on Facebook looking through numerous friends' pages and photographs.  If people wanted to, they could easily spend most of their day looking at unnecessary loads of information.

I found what Mr. Kaufman said very informative.  The application 'Freedom' he uses is a fantastic innovation that every college student I know should take advantage of.  People are always complaining that they can never focus because they're distracted by these sites but with Freedom there are no more excuses.  People today make the choice of whether they're over connected or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment