Saturday, March 24, 2012

solo spirits


Dear Susan Cain,

      It is really interesting how the most spectacularly creative people in many fields are often introverted because I would think that creative people would pick up things from social environments but I guess being introverted allows you to think deeply and conjure things. Also you're less prone to fall into distraction or encounter interruption. But I feel like you have to have a specific type of personality to be comfortable working alone.
      I really love how you quoted Hans Eysenck's observation of introverts as he described fostering creativity by “concentrating the mind on the tasks in hand, and preventing the dissipation of energy on social and sexual matters unrelated to work.” Just like your Newton example, a person sitting quietly under a tree in the background is more likely to have an apple land on his hand while everyone else is clinking glasses on the patio because the person is putting himself in the position where he can come up with new ideas while extroverted people are more concerned with interacting with each other and trying to bounce off of each others' ideas instead of coming up with their own.
      I think Mr. Wozniak's guidance to not work on a committee or on a team is too strong of an advice. There should be times when members in an organization isolate from each other to come up with their own unique ideas but there should also be times when they come together to collaborate also because not everyone can be a successful introvert. Not everyone can be like a Buddha and do what he did. Also I know sometimes in my online discussion classes I post my own response and then look at what my other classmates thought of the same topic, and I pick up on things I would have never realized from them which leads me to other ideas. So sometimes it can be beneficial to immerse oneself in a social environment because one can develop or expand upon other people's ideas which can lead to something so much more creative. 


Sincerely,
Clara 

No comments:

Post a Comment