Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Intense MMO Play

Dear Steinkuehler and Williams,

I have to admit that while reading your work on MMO's, it made me recall someone that used to live down the hall from me - actually right next door to me. I work as a Resident Assistant at Rutgers University. One of my residents was really big into games like that, but I didn't know this yet. One day I overheard him yelling violent instructions to someone. Naturally, I had to see what was actually going on. Although I don't remember what game it was, he was talking into a microphone to one of his "teammates". I had no idea it got that intense, but it was clear when he was screaming like that.

What I came to find out is that there is a real sense of community and teamwork among these games. I had a hard time understanding that you could be so close to someone that you have never physically met, but apparently these common goals in the game were enough of a bond to bring the together. From that day I looked at all these MMO's differently.

Kindest Regards,
Joe Guagenti

No comments:

Post a Comment